ANAHEIM – More than 100 people gathered and marched peacefully outside of the Anaheim Police Department Sunday night to protest a Los Angeles Police Department officer who discharged a gun while in a scuffle with teenagers last week.
A 13-year-old boy is accused of threatening to shoot the off-duty officer, at which time the officer attempted to detain the boy until Anaheim police arrived. The boy has said that he said “I’m going to sue you.” There was a physical confrontation between the officer and several other juveniles.
“We will not tolerate anybody putting hands on our youth,” said Cihuatl Pitzatic, of Anaheim, who was handed a microphone that was passed around the crowd.” “Don’t let this stop. Standing Rock, N.D., went on for months, we can do the same in Anaheim.”
A video of the Tuesday altercation that quickly went viral shows the off-duty officer detaining the boy and then, with other teenagers trying to free the youth, firing his weapon that had been tucked into the waistband of his pants.
The downward shot did not strike anyone but footage from the confrontation made national news, angering many while some supported the officer.
Protesters Sunday held signs that said “Charge and arrest LAPD officer,” “Anaheim homeowner – protect our children,” “Film the police,” and “No Justice, No Peace.”
The crowd voiced a mixture of defiance, anger and frustration.
“We care that they (our children) can walk home without being harassed. And so what, if a kid steps on the grass? If you don’t want him to step on your grass, build a fence. That would solve it, right?” said Genevieve Huizar of Anaheim, who’s unarmed son Manuel Diaz was fatally shot by police Anaheim police officer Nick Bennallack in 2012. The District Attorney’s Office announced that the shooting was justified, determining that Bennallack believed Diaz had a gun.
“Those children should have been listened to and respected” said Damion…